Friday, October 5, 2012

So on and so forth

Let's just revisit the claims I made last time I blogged it up. 
Ew. That sounds gross. Say it out loud. 
See? Gross.
Take 2: Let's revisit the claims I made when last I endeavored to blog. 
In this next week I will:
Strike up real conversations with my coworkers.
Actually talk to my barista.
Say hello to my neighbors.
And, finally, join a group of some kind.
And I will write about it.
Alright, it's on the internet. So I have to do it.
Boom.


So, here we all are. Before I comment on my misadventures, I would just like to say that I dominated this. Like a boss. Like a socially awkward boss. 

Numero Uno! Strike up a real conversation with my coworkers. 
This one was harder than I assumed it would be. As an American, I am prone to idle blather. Chitchattering small talk to fill empty space. HOWEVER! Being the social beast that I have always prided myself on being, I managed to talk with my coworker about boring politics, and we're planning on working out together.  CHECK.

Numero Dos! - Actually talk to my barista.
This one was a bit of a cheat. My best friend/roommate is a barista. Therefore, I talk to my barista all the time. But, as I frequently frequent her location of gainful employment, I have managed to get to know a couple of the other baristas. Now, we aren't buddies, but I do wave to them and know their names. Check? I think yes.

Numero Tres! - Say hello to my neighbors.
Alright. I would just like to point out that I live in the ghetto of Urbana, IL. Clearly, talking to some of my neighbors is inadvisable at best. Nevertheless, I have overcome the restrictions of social stigmas and common sense. Consequently, I formally met Satan and Lucifer (This is how they presented themselves.). These two upstanding gentlemen are our upstairs neighbors. They like to smoke on the patio and talk to unsuspecting neighbor girls. They also enjoy smoking substances, that may or may not be entirely legal, in the bathroom. I know this because the smell drifts into OUR bathroom, and I get the munchies. A grand time is had by all. Ch. Eck.

Numero Cuatro! - I became a volunteer at the Boys and Girls Club! It was frightening and painful. But, I do believe I'm a better person for it. Or I will be. When I regain feeling in my  legs. Initially, I wasn't really sure if it counted as a group, buuuuut Imma checkity check it off the list. 

Whew! That was easier but simultaneously harder than I thought it would be. The lesson to be learned here today is that even if you have a second hand high from your neighbors' pot addiction, you can make pseudo friends and be tortured by small children who want to "play" with your hair. 

And, at the end of the day, isn't that what we all want?

peace

No comments:

Post a Comment